[arch-dev-public] Cleanup/Orphans - a BIG warning!

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Oct 2 13:28:31 EDT 2007

Am Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:17:17 -0500
schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> == Pending Tasks, Short Term ==
>
> * New Round of Package Cleanup
>
> Let's try and get this "complete" this week. I'd like to get at least
> 2 or 3 of us together with Eric to go through these packages and start
> moving them to community or unsupported.
>
> We have an internal list for this here:
> https://www.archlinux.org/wiki/Repo%20Cleanup/
>
> Please add candidates if you find them.
>
> Eric, when is a good time for you?

I will help out with the cleanup.

We had asked all developers to readopt their packages after the repo
shuffle. We have a very bad situation right now! Still 916 packages
orphaned. 6 developers listed on the dev website have 0 packages. Some
other maintain only a few packages.

Look what is orphaned: apache, bind, cvs, mono, python, freetype1/2,
nspr/nss, pango, gimp, mutt, cdrkit, several desktops, bash, bzip2,
gcc-libs, kernel26 and many more!

We were talking about our intention to have more than one maintainer
per package. But we do not act like that. Having so important packages
unmaintained means nobody follows the projects mailing lists. No quick
updates, bug fixes, no security fixes...

So get your ass up and adopt packages you want to keep in our
distribution!

DEADLINE for adopting packages should be this coming weekend. Then the
cleanup will start.

2 all devs: Isn't that more important than telling something about how
much alcohol we drink?

-Andy