[arch-dev-public] New ISO release thread, please all read!

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 16:22:44 EDT 2007

Ok,
according to the last thread about releasing on saturday i summarize:
- most agree with releasing a new iso that just works

- New codename?
A new iso will be released in november which contains a new major kernel,
which we all agreed  earlier this year should trigger a new codename and
release/filename.
At the moment it would mean much work to regenerate the ISOs with only to
include a new code name. With entering kernel .23 series we should bump
initscripts to a new code name, suggestions are welcome :)
one mentioned was Hardcore

- Release/File name of ISOs?
ok here started the confusion,
these ISOs will still contain the same major kernel series as in 2007.08 ISOs.
There was also a thread about name scheme and we wanted to use -0.x as
developer ISOs and [1-9] as release/bugfix versions.
According to this it would be logical to use here
2007.08-2 as release/filename
we could still use the iso/2007.08 directory on ftp and remove the others
directories, see section below.

- Remove of old ISOs and addons?
All old ISOs ftp routines are broken.
Also every ISO had some kind of itches which now  are all fixed,
it would make sense to remove all old ISOs and addons from ftp/iso.
Addons are not necessary anymore with latest ISOs because most fast enough
drivers are now included on the media itself.

comments, thoughts and simple agrees/denies are welcome
thanks
greetings
tpowa
--