[arch-dev-public] New ISO release thread, please all read!

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:13:41 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest this:
> 1) move all *-ftp.iso's to archive/
> 2) move all *-base.iso's to archive/ too, except the last ISO with
> previous kernel version.

This sounds like a plan, but it's going to bork our rsyncing hard.

Eliott, Dale, Jan - do you guys have any sort of plan of attack here?
What would be the best way to do this that wouldn't force everything
to rsync like 5gigs all at once?

On 10/5/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/10/5, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
> > I am still confused why its not named 2007.10. So the iso got its name from
> > the date when the major release of the kernel included was done?
> >

> Yes.

Correct. As a proof-of-concept, ubuntu version 6.06 was released
(which is date based but they mung it a bit) and later on on 08-2006
they released a bug fix 6.06.1 version.

We're doing the same thing.

I think this date+version thing is confusing people here. Don't think
of it as the date of release - think of it as a version number that
just happens to be the date of release.