[arch-dev-public] Status Report 2007-10-08

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Oct 9 06:12:56 EDT 2007

When I built GNOME and put it in testing, I was using extra. This was done
to ensure GNOME would be running fine with extra. At this moment the status
of GNOME is quite good. I haven't seen many bugs in applications, some
applications have a minor upstream upgrade that fixes the last outstanding
issues in them, so updating to the latest versions and moving them to extra
would be the good thing to do.

One drawback however is GTK2, which is a dependency of GNOME 2.20. I don't
have any problems with it, but it seems many people have problems with
applications like Firefox and OpenOffice and certain theme engines. There's
a patch on ubuntu launchpad that fixes these issues and GTK SVN trunk
contains a lot of post-release fixes.

So the TODO for GNOME:
- Update GNOME apps to latest versions.
- Take needed patches from GTK+ SVN and apply it to 2.12.0, add firefox
crash patch from Ubuntu launchpad.
- Patch gnome-network-manager to work with the new gnome-keyring when no
keyring is available, patches and bugreports available
- Try to fix evolution-exchange, seems to be something with new heimdal

All other bugs I've seen are coming from the fact that Alex moved xorg.sh
from xproto to libx11 in testing and people have a mix of old and new
versions installed of these packages (or they have custom libx11 versions).