[arch-dev-public] Killing CVS [was: Status Report 2007-10-15]

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:01:46 EDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> >From what I read and talk around it seems most European devs are more
> comfortable with svn and American devs prefer git.

Heh, you forgot Canadian!

Either way, I think the distinction is more like so:
The coders tend to prefer git, while the non-coders prefer svn.

I'm glad you brought this up as it's something that has gone by the
wayside for far too long. I have basically been waiting to see how
other discussions have gone.

So let me make a few salient points here:

* The SCM doesn't matter. It doesn't. We're not doing anything
complicated that we need advanced features for. The *ONLY* reason we
use an SCM at all for PKGBUILDs is to track history.

We keep discussing all this stuff as if we need super advanced
features for PKGBUILDs and local branches, complex N-way merges, etc
etc.

We don't. We need to commit, and update. That's it.

* There will always be a discomfort when we switch these things.
However, if all developers use devtools except in extreme
circumstances, there's no reason this discomfort should actually cause
any problems.

* Pros and cons are useless here. As I said in the first point, we
have no need for the advanced features based on our usage patterns.
Sure, we can make use of them later, but right now it shouldn't be
weighting any decision.

* Changing SCMs is fairly easy. If we fuck up, we change to something
else - I could do all the grunt work here if people see this as any
sort of issue (it's a 5-10 line config file for tailor)

------------------------------

So, here's what I'd like to do. This decision is fairly arbitrary, so
let's try and throw out FACTUAL points FOR each SCM.

I don't want to see any "X is better than Y because of Z" drivel. I
want to see "X supports Z". Everyone has their "baby" SCM. That's not
the issue. We need to make a decision, and opinions should have no
place here.

So. Bring up your points as they apply to our usage patterns. We'll
discuss this until this weekend, and come next monday, I'd like to
start a vote and see if we can get anywhere.

Thanks guys,
Aaron