[arch-dev-public] Killing CVS [was: Status Report 2007-10-15]

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Tue Oct 16 14:56:10 EDT 2007

Dan McGee wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So let me make a few salient points here:
>>
>> * The SCM doesn't matter. It doesn't. We're not doing anything
>> complicated that we need advanced features for. The *ONLY* reason we
>> use an SCM at all for PKGBUILDs is to track history.
>>
>> We keep discussing all this stuff as if we need super advanced
>> features for PKGBUILDs and local branches, complex N-way merges, etc
>> etc.
>>
>> We don't. We need to commit, and update. That's it.
>
> I think you may be simplifying it a bit too much. We have this issue
> called current/testing. Right now, it sucks. We use CVS tags. Why is
> there no kernel 2.6.22.10 in our core repo right now? Oh yeah, because
> the CVS has already been shifted to the 2.6.23 path so we can't go
> back and update it. That is a problem whatever SCM we move to has to
> overcome.

Actually, I don't think this is a problem the SCM should HAVE to
overcome if we do our repo maintenance scripts properly. The SCM
should not be tracking what is current/testing/etc. The repository
manager should know what's CURRENT and should be pointing to the
proper SCM version.

This is the design in repoman.

I believe right now we are really burdened because this division
between repo maintenance and SCM is not optimal.

- P