[arch-dev-public] starting the repo cleanup

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:15:16 EDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> I will start removing packages now. It seems nobody else has the time
> or interest to do it. I will use Eric's list in our dev wiki.
>
> step 1: orphaned packages that are no (make)depends for any other pkg.
>         I wonder about Eric's comment
>  "Package | Reason to remove it. No reason implies we keep it"
>
> I think it should be the opposite. If any developer wants to keep it he
> should adopt it before it will be removed. If we won't do it that way
> we will stay for months for comments what the reasons are why we want
> to remove them. The reason is the poor (non existing) maintainership
> and low usage according the public wiki list.

Don't change the rules on your own just yet- for now, I'm sure there
are plenty of removals that can proceed that have been commented on.
However, I do agree that the list will probably just sit there if we
can't touch a package that hasn't been commented on.

**NOTE to devs- take a quick look at this list and comment on the
packages you know can be purged from extra!**

> Is it ok to rm the whole cvs files including history and the package
> itself? I see no important reason why we should put the cvs history and
> pkg somewhere else. If any user or TU wants to pick it up again they
> would have to do it from scratch again. But we can also hold the cvs
> entries somewhere for backup for a while. I would need permission on
> that directory. Your choice.

-1 here. Why on earth would we have to do that? Version control is
used for a reason, and rewriting history is rarely a smart thing to
do. If empty directories in your checkouts are an issue, try using a
.cvsrc file:
$ cat .cvsrc
cvs -q
diff -uN