[arch-dev-public] Python packaging policy

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 18 07:18:02 EST 2008

Hi all,

A few recent bugs have highlighted issues with how we deal with compiled
versions (.pyo/.pyc) of python (.py) files.    We should probably make a
policy on how these should be handled during packaging.

Given I am the python maintainer, I suppose I should be doing this, but
I am wanting to do some more makepkg/pacman stuff so it would be good if
someone else wants to take the lead on this.

Here is a couple of policies from other distros
Debian: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
Fedora: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python

If someone (not necessarily a dev) wants to help out with this, then it
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan