[arch-dev-public] Xorg changes / DRM modules

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 04:13:16 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

> Radeon kms is still buggy like hell and unusable for my RC410 [Radeon
> Xpress 200M] card. It makes X and the whole system freeze instantly when
> moving windows around or when I try to start 3d apps. Sometimes even
> at Xorg start at all. This has been introduced with 2.6.32
> kernels. Upstream recommends to try the various drm trees:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.dri.devel/40626

I think the first logical step, if you can find the time, is that you
first check if these more up-to-date trees actually fix your specific
issue.
If they don't, you will probably have to provide more information
upstream. I have no idea how popular your card is.
If they do, it would be interesting to know what Dave Airlie
recommends to use for a distribution. Maybe following drm-radeon-next
can be better than stable kernel releases ?

In any cases, drm-radeon-testing does not sound like something that
should be installed by default to everyone, but rather like something
to try when things go wrong, and before reporting to upstream.
That said, right now there is just one small commit difference between
drm-radeon-next and drm-radeon-testing
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/drm-radeon-testing
This decision obviously depends a lot on the development model, that's
why I think it's best to just ask airlied input.
I can ask him if you don't (want to) :)