[arch-dev-public] Xorg changes / DRM modules

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Dec 23 03:40:04 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 23:58 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Appending here two mails from an upstream dev(Dave Airlie). I'll talk
> Jan how do deal with this in the near future.
>
> -Andy

Looking at the mails, I think we should take these steps:
- update to mesa 7.6.1 for now, you already did this.
- disable KMS for ATI by default, enable for Intel by default, as UMS is
wrecked out their soon to release driver.
- Package stable linux kernel, don't touch drm too much, just apply
patches for known broken things, like the intel powermanagement bug that
locks up the GPU.
- Package released drivers, or use git snapshots from the stable branch.
For ATI, there's some maintenance work done on the 6.12-branch in git, I
think it's wise to apply those.
- for libdrm, package without extra flags, though you *might* want to
enable libdrm-nouveau there to get the nouveau driver working. As
always, stick with released libdrm, don't use git snapshots. Only
provide nouveau drivers if you actually intend to use and update them.

After these switches, we should focus on getting mesa 7.7 in our
distribution. Mesa 7.6.x is a dead end and upstream only supports 7.7
now.