[arch-dev-public] Move the catalyst drivers from extra to AUR/Community

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:05:40 EST 2009

Here it is,

Andreas Radke and I have talked about this and have come to a
conclusion. The ATI catalyst drivers are in a pitiful state and AMD is
doing close to nothing to improve the situation, they just take Linux as
a joke. At least, that is the impression one gets when nvidia releases
great drivers for Linux and ATI in the other hand is not showing any
promises in making their drivers better and well supported.

In the other hand the radeonhd driver, which is in extra shows some
promise, and so far have been good, they have been able to make a good
driver with only some documentation released by AMD, when AMD can't make
one while being the makers, go figure out.

This situation is worse in the x86_64 system, we have been stuck with
catalyst 8.12 while i686 has 9.2 already, because AMD just wanted to
break things at will, because their approach is very strange, break some
things to improve others.

That is why, we hope for a TU who can bring this drivers to community to
raise his hand and help us with this task. Please, if you want to give
catalyst the love they don't deserve but need, do not hesitate to offer
yourself as the new maintainer. In the worse case scenario where no one
raises his hand, the package should be moved to AUR. I personally would
not want this, so please TUs respond. A TU will be able to do what is
required for the best with this drivers, which includes making 9.2 and
later work with x86_64.

What do the other developers think? Any developer that wants to take
care of them?

PS: I do use this drivers, so I do care about them, but this is a choice
that had to be made.

Thanks,

Eduardo "kensai" Romero