[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.31.2-1

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Oct 6 13:11:07 EDT 2009

Am Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:53:42 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> Another upstream release, I want to move directly after signoff.
>
> Last minute changes:
>
> - Changed number of maximum serial ports to 32
> - Enabled ATI KMS (if this causes problems, blame Andy, he says it's
> fine :D)
>
> Working fine on x86_64, i686 will be ready soon.

Signoff x86_64. Using nouveau on my desktop and new 6.12.4 ati driver
on my laptop.

Radeon state: With new xf86-video-ati 6.12.4 driver simply add "radeon"
to the modules array in mkinitcpio.conf and recreate the initrd. That's
all for kms.

The bad: With kms enabled this way I don't get hardware 3d acceleration.
But I never had any before with old DRI(1) with my X200m (R300 family).

The good: I get 3d acceleration for the 1st time with my card using
DRI2 when I boot my 2nd kernel menu entry that has radeon.modeset=0
appended.

So !kms=3d or kms=like before for me. Still better to have that choice
than no kms and no option to get 3d like before.

I like it. Probably we can get 3d also working soon together kms. I
just need some time to read around.

-Andy