[arch-dev-public] The udev rule nightmare

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 20 15:38:45 EDT 2009

So, I wanted to revisit the subject of udev rules. Right now, we have
rules in /etc/udev/rules.d and /lib/udev/rules.d - the idea was that
"upstream" rules goes to /lib and whatever else goes to /etc.

This was interpreted by some of our own dev team that we should put
whatever udev and packages ship to /lib and whatever we created
ourselves to /etc - which is dumb. Right now we have:

- rules from upstream packages in /lib
- patched rules from upstream packages in /lib
- rules from upstream packages in /etc
- Arch rules in /etc

It is pure chaos and nobody understands what is where and why. It is a
nightmare.

Back when we had the discussion, I suggested what I will re-suggest now:

- All our packages should have udev rules in /lib only. What Arch
officially ships is what we consider "upstream". (To put it in the same
terminology that perl uses: core-rules and vendor-rules)
- User or site specific rules go to /etc, overriding or complementing
the "official" rule set (site-rules)

This will lead to a clear distinction and a clear rule instead of the
chaos we have until now. It is also the only way that makes sense,
everything else will lead to the same chaos again.

Please comment.