[arch-dev-public] Reducing traffic usage during package move between repos

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 2 05:05:36 EDT 2009

Roman Kyrylych schrieb:
> The negative side is that this will need one-time redownload of all
> packages by mirrors,

Which will take several weeks!

> though this can be avoided by manual moving of the files by mirror admin
> (need to be done in this way: wait until /all syncing starts, kill rsync,
> move packages manually, start rsync).

This can be avoided if we (instead of moving everything at once), just
start doing this for new packages and leave the old ones where they are.
There is no need to resync already synced packages.

> BTW I always wondered why we have that silly "os" subdir.
> Would be nice to get rid of it during this big mirroring change (if
> it'll happen).

So, you also want to break user's configurations now? Why fix something
that isn't broken?