[arch-dev-public] openssl 1.0 rebuild

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 2 02:46:43 CEST 2010

On 02/04/10 03:18, Thayer Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Pierre Schmitz<pierre at archlinux.de>  wrote:
>> If you rebuild packages you should build bottom-up; means rebuild the deps
>> of a package first. It's probably best to join our irc channel to
>> communicate which packages you are about to rebuild. If something doesn't
>> build you might find patches at
>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/$pkgname
>>
>> And please avoid using versioned deps.
>
> This is probably a stupid question, but...
>
> How exactly do you know whether to use versioned deps?  For example, I
> was going to rebuild mutt which currently requires openssl>=0.9.8e
> from when Tobias maintained it.  Do I need to update the dep version
> or will 0.9.8e still suffice?

I'd just remove it.

Basically the arguement against widespread usage of versioned deps is if
you put a versioned openssl>=1.0 there and someone does "pacman -Sy
mutt", it will pull in the new openssl and break many packages on their
system.  If you do not put it there, it will only break mutt.

Allan