[arch-dev-public] xorg-server 1.8 repository

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Apr 4 22:56:31 CEST 2010

There's a new repository for xorg-server 1.8 packages. As this release
requires new drivers and reconfiguration, I decided to put it in its own
repository to not break testing for a lot of users.
Packages have been built on top of testing, but as this new version does
not depend on OpenSSL anymore, it should work fine on top of core+extra.
Kernel 2.6.33 from testing is recommended due to DRI improvements in
that version.
To use the repository, add this repository on top of testing to
pacman.conf:
[xorg18]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices
in hal is ignored and should be done by udev rules or xorg.conf.d files.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration

At this moment there's no nvidia driver available for xorg-server 1.8.0.
The version in the extra repository works with the -ignoreABI option
(which can be set as option in xorg.conf also), but performance is not
as good as with xorg-server 1.7. The support for xorg-server 1.8 is
experimental and is not yet officially supported by Nvidia.

Things todo before this merges to extra:
- Add documentation about input configuration to our wiki, as hal is
deprecated now
- Ask nvidia for a driver that works without ignoreABI, I'm sure they
can give us a timeframe for that
- Add xorg.conf.d config files for input drivers, right now only evdev
and synaptics have config files
- Fix xf86-video-siliconmotion, xf86-video-unichrome, xf86-video-nouveau