[arch-dev-public] WARNING: [testing] broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Apr 7 05:36:51 CEST 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:22:02 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
>> Upgrading still fails: pacman itself works after the small upgrade. But
>> all post-install scripts in the -Syu that use vercmp are broken. For
>> example, kernel26 post-install failed on a -Syu for me.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how this happens. pacman and vercmp should
> have idential link libraries, so if one works, the other should (and
> if one doesn't, the other shouldn't).

I was able to reproduce this problem. Here it is:

The first run of pacman -Syu will just update pacman which does not
directly link to openssl. So the system will still be fine. The second run
will update everything else. During this update openssl is updated. The
prbolem is that libarchive and libfetch are not updated right after the new
version of openssl is installed. This means that all install scripts
calling vercmp will fail until the new libs are installed.

This is some kind of general problem: the system may be inconsistent
during the process of updating and install scripts will fail. In this case
we need to make sure that libarchive and libfetch are updated right after
openssl. This might be solved by increasing the versioned deps of pacman to
libarchive/libfetch to their latest versions which should pull in the new
openssl. The problem is that doing so the system is inconsistent/broken
after the first -Syu run.

@Dan: you told me it might be possible to just include the needed object
files of libalpm into vercmp, so that it does not link against it anymore;
maybe that would be a more elegant solution. (or include the needed code on
source level? no idea how this was implemented)