[arch-dev-public] archbuild: building in a chroot for the lazy

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 31 11:31:03 EDT 2010

On Friday 20 August 2010 13:09:48 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> atm every dev has his own scripts or he just doesn't build his packages
> in a chroot. Even though mkarchroot and makechrootpkg exist they are
> not straight forward to use and you need to configure your chroot
> properly.
>
> My long term goal is to create easy to use tools which will use the
> exact same build environment for everyone. The first attempt is now in
> testing with devtool-0.9.9.
>
> In short: All you need to do now is run e.g. extra-i686-build,
> testing-x86_64-build, staging-i686-build etc.. This will do all the
> boring work for you like creating the correct chroot etc..
>
> In more detail:
> * By default the script will create the chroots in /var/tmp/archbuild.
>   Make sure you have enough disk space here. You might use another dir
>   by using the -r switch.
> * The -c switch will recreate the chroot even if it already exists.
> * You can also build i686 pacakges on x86_64.
> * TUs can use extra-*-build and testing-*-build to build packages for
>   community or community-testing.
> * You user will need the permission to use sudo
> * Set PACKAGER, MAKEFLAGS, SRCDEST, PKGDEST in your ~/.makepkg.conf
> * the first enabled mirror in your mirrorlist will be used for the
>   chroots; local mirrors using file:// are supported.
>
> This is in early stage and far from ready. So feedback and feature
> request are more than welcome.
Very nice. Any chance to get an option to avoid to clean the chroot everytime?
You know, I use the kde-build scripts and I need to install some package in
the chroot to build the others.
Also, an option to install packages in the chroot is missing.

Obviously, I won't to force anybody with my "personal" feature request. I can
maintain the previous behavior, but I'd like to keep the same build
environment for everyone and maybe someone else needs that options.

Cheers

--
andreascarpino.it
Arch Linux Developer