[arch-dev-public] package signoffs

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 9 07:41:07 EST 2010

Am 09.02.2010 13:12, schrieb Paul Mattal:
> I think the signoffs are more useful as a "sanity check" than a test of
> the newly-implemented functionality. I think the primary benefit of
> signoffs is catching obvious regressions, more than making sure we, in
> fact, did close bug #83446 completely and correctly.

Most importantly, the signoffs are there to verify that neither the
package files nor the contained binaries are corrupted. An i686 signoff
is still necessary to see that the package installs fine and the
binaries actually execute - an x86_64 signoff will tell you that the
commands in the PKGBUILD are sane, but not that nothing got corrupted.