[arch-dev-public] Please avoid versioned deps

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Jan 28 11:23:16 EST 2010

Am Sonntag, 17. Januar 2010 17:27:57 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Hi all,
>
> recently I have seen that there were a lot of commits introducing
> versioned deps down to the pkgrel level. I think we should avoid such deps
> if possible. There are possibly only some important packages in core where
> this is useful and in such cases you should add not only an lower but upper
> bound (see kernel modules for example).
>
> For anything else this is not needed (at least for Arch), adds more
> complexity or simply breaks stuff. For more detailed arguments please read
> at least the first three messages in
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/mailman/private/arch-dev/2009-October/011439.h
> tml
>
> This is just a general reminder and I did not intend to attack anyone. So
> just keep it simple. :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre

What do you think if we work on some kind of policy that recommends strict
versioned deps for packages in the base group and none for everything else?

This way we could avoid any major damage (caused by users, mirror problems or
even our fault) but on the other hand does not introduce complexity and other
problems for non-base packages.