[arch-dev-public] Redefining [testing] and a new [staging] repo

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri May 7 13:02:58 EDT 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:50:11 -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I don't like it. It adds a lot of complexity.
>
> For large rebuilds, the dbscripts DO allow us to make on-the-fly
> repos, though currently the directory needs to be created by an admin
> (that can be changed).

Having a repo for just this purpose will make things easier and I don't
see where it would increase complexity.

> We've done this before with some releases, and I think it's a good
> idea to use this capability, rather than define a testing-testing repo
> (that's what this is - a testing repo before packages go to
> testing...)

No you got me wrong here. It's not meant to be to test packages before
moving them to testing. Most packages will still be moved directly to extra
or testing. The staging repo would be just a place where we assemble larger
builds or could coordinate building with other devs without destroying a
real repo like testing.

So, staging is no real repo, its not in a chain like
(staging->testing->extra) and our current work flow of directly putting
packages into testing or extra wouldn't be touched.

I hope I made my point this time; though you are still allowed to dislike
it. :P