[arch-dev-public] Redefining [testing] and a new [staging] repo

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri May 7 13:40:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010 12:13:33 -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
wrote:
> So in effect, it seems we're saying the same things, except I am using
> REPO_NAME="foo-rebuild" for each rebuild "foo", and you are using
> REPO_NAME="staging" for *all* rebuilds.

Somehow yes, but the detail is quite important. But a already existing
repo will make things a lot easier. Maybe its worth to manually create a
separate repo but probably not for just a few. We also sometimes upload
packages somewhere to share or let others grab them from our home dirs on
gerolde. Such a repo would simplify this and induce a general work flow for
e.g. rebuilds.

But still, the main intention is to make testing more usable to get more
feedback and in turn have less bugs in core/extra.

> This can already be done, the staging dir just needs to be added to the
> server.
>
> It would, however, need to be excluded from rsync if you want that.

Sure, the implementation of this is a peace of cake: mostly a mkdir and
maybe adding some shortcuts to devtools and dbscripts to have something
like stagingpkg and staging2extra etc..