[arch-dev-public] unbundling of xorg-*-apps/utils packages

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Oct 21 17:23:37 EDT 2010

While I was updating some xorg-*-apps/utils packages a few minutes ago,
I became a bit sick of it. Right now I have a list of outdated packages
and an announcement mailinglist with updated tarballs released by the
X.Org project. Finding the package associated with a released tarball is
hell, and going trough the tarball versions for a flagged package is
hell also.

Therefore I would like to get rid of the xorg package bundles in the
current shape. The easiest way to do this is by packaging each release
into its own package, prefixed with xorg- in front of it (I don't like
to have a package called "bitmap" for example). After that has been
done, I will create new meta packages that are empty and depend on the
packages that it contained before. That means that:
- nothing gets broken or needs changes dependency-wise
- updating xorg-*-apps/utils packages is a lot easier
- dependencies can become a lot tighter: xterm for example, only needs
luit from xorg-apps.

The only packages that I will keep bundled are the xorg-fonts-*
packages. They have a logical reason to be bundled, they don't change
very often, and when they change, they change all at the same time, with
the same reason for that change.