[arch-dev-public] tcp_wrappers- does anyone actually use it?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 13:39:46 EDT 2010

Guys,

For the umpteenth time today I stared at ssh wondering why it wasn't
accepting incoming connections until I remembered about tcp_wrappers
junk, and put the standard "sshd : ALL : allow" line in hosts.allow.

Does anyone use this for anything useful at all?

1. The package is now at version 7.6-12 (clearly it is getting a lot
of upstream attention)
2. We have 11 patches applied to the package
3. It is inferior to iptables-based filtering
4. It is not very transparent

Discussion welcome, but I am raising a vote to remove this dependency
from packages currently using it (hopefully this is possible for all
21 of them, http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/tcp_wrappers/)
and eventually remove it from core and the repositories.

-Dan