[arch-dev-public] [signoff] pkgstats 2.1-1

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Sep 13 07:05:26 EDT 2010

Hi everybody,

pkgstats is neither in [core] or critical but nonetheless I'd like to
get some positive feedback before moving it to extra and making an
announcement.

I have added a cronjob which is installed to /etc/cron.weekly and run
as user nobody. This makes it an "install and forget" package and we'll
get data regulary and just when we ask for it.

Sending user data periodically to us is a critical thing. To decrease
people's concerns (and mine) I have implemented it this way:
* pkgstats will remain an optional package
* the script is kept as easy as possible for people to see what it does
* the cron is run as nobody and not root (anyone knows how to do this
without sudo? no, su does not work it seems)
* don't collect more data than is really needed for our work

Greetings,

Pierre