[arch-dev-public] Pacman 4.0.0 RC1 "release"

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:28:20 EDT 2011

For the daring, pick your poison (by architecture):

* pacman -U http://dev.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-4.0.0rc1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
* pacman -U http://dev.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-4.0.0rc1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

Allan, Dave, and I (and probably a few others) run pacman-git on most
of our systems with no problems, so their should be no real shockers
or problems if you give this a spin. There are no database upgrades or
changes this time so downgrading later should work fine if truly
necessary.

What we're looking for feedback on:

* any build failures in makepkg you may see
* if you manage a custom repo, how does repo-add work for you
* does pacman behave as it did before
* if you want to sign packages, does the functionality in makepkg and
the documentation make sense
* same for signing repos- does it work for you

What we know isn't there yet:
* translations
* a developer keyring (or keyring package)- if you delve into this,
you will need to look at pacman-key for now
* great error messages on verification failure, or ability to import
keys on the fly if it is unknown

Note that we'd love testing even if you don't plan on touching any of
the new signing stuff- there were 500+ commits worth of changes in
this release, including a switch to curl as the download library, so
anything out of the ordinary should be reported. Please choose -git as
the version in the bugtracker if you do it that way, otherwise email
pacman-dev.

Happy testing!

-Dan