[arch-dev-public] libjpeg-turbo in [testing]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 28 17:32:20 EST 2011

On 01/03/11 02:05, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> With the libjpeg-turbo-1.1 release, it now has libjpeg-8 compatibility and
>> is a suitable replacement for our version of libjpeg.  For those that do not
>> know about libjpeg-turbo, you can get more info at
>> http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/ .  Essentially it is a lot faster, and
>> as a bonus from a distributions point of view its development is a lot more
>> open.
>>
>> So test the version out in [testing] and report any issues.  It should be a
>> drop in replacement so hopefully nothing will become too broken!
>
> Any backstory here why we are making the replacement? I see Fedora has
> done (is doing?) so, but no real discussion happened on our list
> first.

The reasons to switch is mainly for the massive speed increase (2-4x for
jpeg compress/decompression).  It is something that I would have
considered earlier, but I did not think a rebuild was worth it.  But now
they support the version 8 API and no rebuild is necessary, it is a good
time to switch.

As the package maintainer, the libjpeg-turbo development is also much
easier to follow.  It has mailing lists, a bug tracker, a SVN repo, etc.
  libjpeg basically has an email address and that is it...  We have had
a bug in libjpeg before that I had to wait for upstream to make a new
release to fix (which admittedly was done quite quickly), rather than
just grabbing the patch from SVN.

Allan