[arch-dev-public] [signoff] coreutils-8.12-2, initscripts-2011.06.2-1, net-tools-1.60-15, udev-171-2, yp-tools-2.12-2

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jun 2 11:28:15 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

After the discussion regarding initscripts-2011.06.1 we decided that
things would be simpler if we move all the above packages in one go
(thanks to Gaetan and Thomas for the help!), so please test and sign
off.

Below is a summary of changes, I will write a nicer summary for the
front page before moving to core.

----
udev
----

As mentioned in several previous emails, we have been working to
remove modules-load.sh from udev. This should simplify the package
significantly (so it should be easier to submit bugs upstream and we
will benefit more easily from any fixes and improvements they do), at
least on my machine I also notice a small but significant speedup in
boot time (2,5 sec, or about 10%). In this release of udev,
modules-load.sh is finally removed.

This means that our custom blacklisting of modules no longer works,
but this should not be a problem as modprobe has native support for
blacklisting. For details see 'man modprobe.conf'. Furthermore, as of
the latest modules-init-tools release you can blacklist modules on the
kernel command line by using the following syntax:
"modprobe.blacklist=mod1,mod2,mod3". Alternatively modules can be
disabled by using the syntax "mod1.disable=1".

----
net-tools
----

It is now more than a decade since the last net-tools release, so we
no longer want to rely on this package. With these changes it is not
installed by default any longer, but can be used by those who prefer
to keep the old behavior. In order to do this we did three things:

1) initscripts now defaluts to using iproute2
2) hostname is now provided by coreutils
3) nisdomainname is now provided by yp-tools

----
Initscripts:
----

Big changes:

1) We gain support for iproute2, and net-tools is now optional (thanks
to Dave Reisner). If you don't update your rc.conf, everything should
work as before (using net-tools), pleas shout if it does not.

2) MOD_AUTOLOAD no longer has any effect (modules are always autoloaded).

3) blacklisting modules in the MODULES array is no longer supported,
use modprobe's native blacklisting instead (see 'man modprobe.conf').
An announcement will be made about this before moving to core.

4) We no set domainname at boot. Supporting this was complicated by the
move of the binary to yp-tools, and is done in the ypbind rc script instead.

Otherwise there are some bugfixes, and quite a bit of improvements made to rc.d.

Thanks to all who contributed:

Clément Démoulins (1):
    Add a zsh completion script for the command rc.d.

Dave Reisner (3):
    network/rc.sysinit: remove dead code
    network: deprecate net-tools, add iproute2 support
    rc.d: declare ENV as an array

Eric Bélanger (1):
    rc.d: Add error message when daemon script is not found

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (2):
    use mount -n for devpts and shm
    add killall5 omit pid functionality

Sebastien Luttringer (8):
    Add syntax to vim modeline in rc.d script
    Add TERM var to rc.d cleaned env
    Improve coloring on light and transparent term
    Add rc.d bash completion
    rc.d bash completion detect running daemon
    rc.d zsh completion detect running daemons
    rc.d: Remove cd from the loop
    rc.d: print usage if not enough argument

Thomas Bächler (1):
    Fix typo

Tom Gundersen (13):
    releasing: update instructinos after going through it once
    makefile: do not make functions executable
    udev: generate blacklist on boot
    fixup: also clear /tmp if it is a mountpoint
    Merge remote-tracking branch 'seblu/master'
    Revert "udev: generate blacklist on boot"
    depraction: MOD_AUTOLOAD and MODULES blacklisting
    net: add examples
    Merge branch 'snowman'
    agetty: keep baud rate from kernel if possible
    fixup: stat_busy/stat_done -> status
    fixup: network: deprecate net-tools
    nisdomainname: remove support