[arch-dev-public] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon May 16 16:24:09 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the logic is going to be kept, would it make sense to break it out
> into an rc.d script which can then be called by people who switch
> timezones?
>
> i.e.:
> # /etc/rc.d/timezone America/Chicago
>
> This would also cover the "ro /etc" thing too, as ro users could
> simply remove the daemon...

I'd certainly be in favor of having such a script for setting the
timezone (I'll make it if we agree to go forward with this approach).
Don't think we need to have it as a daemon though. At the moment we
write to /etc/localtime if and only if TIMEZONE is set, so even now
the user can avoid writes to /etc/localtime by clearing TIMEZONE (I
don't think most people are aware of this though, nor the problems you
get if you don't do it).

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Tom