[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev-170-1

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:44:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> udev-170 is out only one day after 169. The only change is an
> additional bugfix needed for udev in mkinitcpio.
>
> Please test and signoff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>
> The original notes still apply:
>
> *****
>
> This is an upstream update together with the following changes:
>
> * we no longer disable error logging. This can be done manually if
> needed, but the lack of error messages makes finding errors harder.
> Besides, if the messages are truly unnecessary it should be reported
> upstream.
> * we no longer maintain our own custom cd symlinks. This change is
> just to get closer to upstream, and it does not lose significant
> functionality (also, the custom script is likely to bitrot).
> * we longer autoload oss emulation modules. This can be added to
> MODULES in rc.conf if needed, but is not needed by most people and
> causes problems for some, so don't do i by default. In the future we
> will not load any modules by default except for what is done upstream.
> This seemed the most obvious, so changed it first.
> * we no longer provide persistent net/cd autogeneration rules. This is
> deprecated upstream and should be done as explained on the arch wiki.
>
> I might leave this package in [testing] somewhat longer than strictly
> necessary to pick up on any obscure bugs (we were hit by some with the
> 168 release).
>
> Also note: with this release we need kernel 2.6.32 or later.

While the kernel is booting, I'm getting error messages like these:

udevd: failed to execute '/sbin/mdadm' '/sbin/mdadm --incremental
/dev/sdb2'  : No such file or directory
udevd: failed to execute '/sbin/mdadm' '/sbin/mdadm --detail --export
/dev/md1' : No such file or directory

and similar for the other hard disk and raid devices. From a quick
check, they seem to come from the udev rules from the mdadm package.
I don't know if it's  the udev rules in mdadm that need to be updated
to work with the new udev or if it's a problem with the new udev
and/or kernel26 packages.

Despites these error messages, the raid array has assembled itself
correctly and everything seem to work fine.

Later today, I'll try to downgrade udev and or the kernel to see if it
helps.  BTW, that's on x86_64.

Eric