[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Cleaning up /sbin, /bin and /lib

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Nov 4 08:08:07 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I just noticed that some binaries moved from /usr/bin to /bin, and
thought I'd take this opportunity to gauge people's opinion about the
situation.

If I understand correctly /bin, /sbin and /lib are meant for files
that might be needed by /etc/rc.sysinit during early boot, before /usr
has been mounted. Everything else should go in the respective
counterparts in /usr.

At the moment we have a lot of binaries in /bin and /sbin that really
do not need to be there, and I suggest that we slowly start tidying
this up by moving them to /usr whenever we have the opportunity. We
can add compatibility symlinks, where needed, so nothing should break.

The pacakges with binaries outside of /usr are:

community/busybox
community/fgetty
community/systemd
community/tcsh