[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.10.1-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 18 04:36:29 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I just pushed a new initscripts release to [testing]. As far as I'm
concerned this is ready for [core], so please test and signoff.

Compared to the previous release that has been in [testing] for a
couple of weeks now, there were only two changes:

* rc.d gained a manpage (due to Seblu).
* we gained support for /etc/locale.conf

The latter needs a bit more explanation:

I'm working towards initscripts no longer writing to /etc, and the
main remaining culprit was, until now, /etc/profile.d/locale.sh that
was generated on every boot. All it does is export the LANG variable
which it gets from LOCALE in rc.conf into every shell. This was
changed to sourcing rc.conf at runtime, rather than generating it at
boot (a side effect of this is that you no longer have to reboot in
order for a new LOCALE to take effect, just relogin).

A problem was pointed out to me: not all shells can source rc.conf, so
they would now be left out in the cold. Not good. At the same time,
there has been a longstanding feature request to add support for all
the locale vars (LC_* and friends).

So that's what I did: we now have support for /etc/locale.conf in
which any of the locale env vars can be assigned. This file can be
read by any shell, not just bash-compatible ones, so people using
non-bash-compatible shells should move to this format. Everyone else
can just stay with rc.conf as we fall back to the value of LOCALE in
rc.conf in case LANG is not defined in locale.conf.

Incidentally, the way locales are handled now coincides with what is
done in systemd:
<http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/locale.conf.html> (systemd also
falls back to reading LOCALE form rc.conf in case LANG is not
defined).

Cheers,

Tom