[arch-dev-public] libdeps (was: ffmpeg 0.8 and x264)

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Oct 31 11:00:19 EDT 2011

Am 31.10.2011 15:52, schrieb Florian Pritz:
> On 31.10.2011 15:04, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we didn't had a large rebuild for a long time now.
>>
>> i the same time i pushed a new x264 as well.
>>
>> happy compiling.
>>

> If you want to, you can try libdeps (previously called sodeps) with this
> rebuild.

I'd say we shouldn't start using this randomly on packages now. there
are a few examples where sodeps might be useful; e.g. for pacman and its
deps. So especially for packages that are not in [core] I would consider
not using it.

It makes things more complicated and solves a problem we don't really
have. It's also not useful to introduce it for just one lib. It's
probably needed for the whole dependency subtree of a package. I hope
this explanation will do for now :-)

Greetings,

Pierre

--