[arch-dev-public] [prerelease] initscripts-2011.09.2-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Sep 29 10:00:52 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I pushed a release candidate of initscripts to [testing]. I'd still
like to include some man pages that Seblu is working on, but I'll be
busy this weekend and next week, so I thought I'd get some feedback on
this as soon as possible, even if it will not be the final release.

Look out for:

The timeouts for SIGTERM/SIGKILL at shutdown have been increased and
the error reporting in case the timeouts are reached is improved. This
should hopefully make it simpler to spot any problems with processes
not being properly killed before shutdown. Such problems have been
reported, but I have not managed to reproduce them.

CHANGES
-------------

Deprecation:
* We'll complain if /usr is on a separate mount point and has not been
mounted by the initramfs (mkinitcpio does not yet support this, but
there are patches available)

Features:
* We load fragments from sysctl.d in addition to the sysctl.conf file
* rc.d is can now filter the output in a nice way
* We pivot into a shutdown ramfs if it exists in /run/initramfs (this
is mostly for testing purposes as mkinitcpio still does not support
this)

Towards read only /etc:
* /etc/profile.d/locale.sh is now a static file, rather than being
generated on every boot (this means we need to use -f when updating)
* /etc/localtime may now be a symlink, and is not written to unless it
is necessary.

Cheers,

Tom