[arch-dev-public] [extra] orphans

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 23 10:32:36 EDT 2012

On 23 August 2012 21:57, keenerd <keenerd at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a side note, there seems to be an unofficial policy among the devs
> to randomly pick up flagged orphans packages in [extra] and fix them.

Yes, this is poor practice, but it happens. When there is no
maintainer, and you're not interested in maintaining it, you just do
everyone a favour and update it. If we were to be strict about it we'd
shoot drop warnings every time we came across such a package. The main
reason cited for such cases is 'the package is important enough', or
if that's not the reason, then it's simply because something else
depends on it.

I've also always been bothered by language packs. They almost never
have maintainers. I understand that associating with these packages
would be meaningless but still they show up as orphans anywhere.

Anyway, -p is great. I've always wanted something like that. Thank you
keenerd. Btw, we're still missing a cross-repo db-move.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1