[arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 6 06:13:25 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Andreas Radke <andyrtr at archlinux.org> wrote:
> All files in /etc/depmod.d/ and /etc/modprobe.d/ are ignored
> here. So module blacklisting doesn't work there for users/admins. We
> need to fix https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27846 to allow admins to
> blacklist modules again.

This is a packaging bug, Dave is rebuilding with a fix.

> Should we rebuild all packages that right now put files
> into /etc/modprobe.d/ ? Can somebody with a full svn checkout do a grep
> to get a list?

In general, and regardless of kmod, packages should install their
config files in /lib/modprobe.d, and leave /etc/modprobe.d to admins.

This works (in module-init-tools, as well as in kmod) in the same way
as with udev's rule files. If a file foo.conf exists in both /etc and
in /lib, the version in /etc is used and the one in /lib is ignored.
This means the admin can easily override the standard config files
supplied by the packages, and the package updating the config file
does not create .pacnew/.pacsave files.

I'll be looking at making a todo with packages to be updated, but
there should be no hurry.

Cheers,

Tom