[arch-dev-public] resignation

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Jul 22 15:35:19 EDT 2012

Am 14.07.2012 18:03, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Hi,
> I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
> It's not so much lack of time, it's more about lack of mental
> energy/interest.
> Some other devs (and Gerardo) are already taking good care of
> archiso, Thomas manages to patch up the releng scripts every time they
> break, and now there's some interest in installer scripts again,
> so I guess now is a good time for me to throw the towel.
> I've been pondering doing this for already a long time, I even wrote
> a few resignation mails at some points, but always discarded them
> before sending.

I want to thank you for hard work on Arch and AIF. You really were an
essential part of Arch and it is sad to see you leave the project
entirely. But of course, once it has become more burden than fun it's no
longer worth it. I had made a similar decision some time ago when I
dropped a bunch of my packages and started working on other projects.

> AIF is arguably an over-engineered piece of software, but only
> because it aimed to make it "dead-easy" for users to do installations
> - even complicated ones - (and not just interactive, but also
> automated ones) which I still think is a noble goal worth pursuing,
> but we're too small of a team to maintain it, and me being the only
> one who understands it doesn't help either.  If it would have been
> written in python it could have been more elegant and simple and might
> have had a very different life (with more interest from the
> community/other devs).
> I've definitely learned a lot from it, and have a bunch of ideas on
> how things can be done better if one would like to pursue the goals
> that aif pursues, but lack the interest in devoting more energy.
> Although I might be interested to help out if others take the lead.

AIF is a huge task for sure; especially with more possible options of
partitioning, filesystems and volume management added all the time. It's
a shame our community never was able to assemble an actual team working
on this and you ended up alone. We benefit a lot from your work here and
still will even if it seems like we were going a completely different
route now.

> I also look back happily on speaking with everyone in the
> AL community I've ever met, I never met somebody I didn't like.
> My personal hilights being
> Froscon 2009 (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/froscon_2009_afterthoughts -- check
> the picture of Gerhard and I!) and Archcon 2010
> (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was
> not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the
> best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a
> close personal friend.

If it wasn't for you we wouldn't have all met at FOSDEM this year I
guess. We had a great time and I hope you are still around and we'll
meet again some day.

Greetings and a big Thank You,

Pierre