[arch-dev-public] Upgrading gnupg to 2.0 branch, removing gnupg2

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Fri Mar 16 03:21:20 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

On FS [1], Tom suggested to make gpgme depend on just one of gnupg and
gnupg2, and I further argued that we do not need two versions of gnupg
in our repos.

I propose to:
- Upgrade gnupg to upstream latest stable, that is version 2.0.
- Symlink /usr/bin/gpg to /usr/bin/gpg2 for backward compatibility.
- Remove the gnupg2 package from our repos.

See [2] for an updated gnupg PKGBUILD.

I have been running these changes on my system for months with no issue.
There have been rumors of problems [3], but as far I can tell it's FUD:
nobody ever reported a concrete issue.

I'm bringing this up here at Andreas' request: any opinions?

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28931
[2] http://paste.xinu.at/Gji/
[3] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22110

--