[arch-dev-public] rootprefix change for kmod 10

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Sep 6 15:30:33 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been talking to Thomas about this, and we've come to the conclusion
that it's probably just broken to continue shipping kmod built with a
rootprefix. I think there's been two recurring problems coming up that
make this revert warranted:

- It makes building kernels for other distros not fun
- The kernel doesn't really support it. Various Kbuild targets just
  break with no clean fix available.

kmod 10 is to be released quite soon, and I'm planning on building
without the rootprefix. It should not affect us in any real way at this
point, given that /lib is now a symlink. It does mean that for the next
kernel built, we'll need to make a minor adjustment to the kernel
PKGBUILDs: running depmod before moving the module dir instead of vice
versa. I can fix this myself in SVN when I push kmod-10 to [testing].

I've been running my own kmod without the rootprefix for the past month
and change and haven't run into any problems. The only oddity is that
modinfo will report "bogus" paths (/lib/modules, not /usr/lib/modules).
mkinitcpio and other tools have no problems with this.

The ideal solution to this, in the end, is probably to introduce another
flag to kmod tools to specify the base dir at runtime, rather than at
compile time. When I get some time, I'll talk to upstream and see if
they're amiable to the idea.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I'd also like to see us stop shipping compressed modules, but that's
another matter all together.