[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Mar 20 13:41:02 EDT 2013

On wo, 2013-03-20 at 10:05 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 20.03.2013 04:50, schrieb Gaetan Bisson:
> > Consequently, official packages using
> > [dnsutils](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/dnsutils/)
> > were migrated to
> > [ldns](https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/ldns/),
> > a much nicer library which provides a `drill` command
> > that replaces `dig`, `nslookup`, and `host`.
>
> Wait, I think I misunderstood your original email. I was under the
> impression that ldns provides drop-in replacements for the commands.
>
> This is not the case and thus I will have no 'host' command anymore. Not
> that I particularly rely on dnsutils, but I imagine *everyone* expects
> the 'host' command to exist.

As long as drill is not a drop-in replacement for dig, we shouldn't just
replace it.
Any DNS admin, even ones running Windows or PowerDNS, will use standard
tools like "dig" to check domains. I've been implementing PowerDNS with
DNSSEC last week, used dig +dnssec a lot to query for DNSSEC stuff.
Drill doesn't support that, so it's a broken replacement in my eyes.

Just dropping the default choice of DNS resolving utilities because you
don't like a new version of a server and its build system is complete
crap. I don't like Apache 2.4 either, but instead of dropping Apache
from the repos and replacing it with nginx I chose to keep 2.2.x and
support that instead.