[arch-dev-public] RFC: go-pie removal in favour of GOFLAGS

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 15 19:24:39 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 12:09:07PM -0700, Anatol Pomozov via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Notice that `-mod=vendor` is also added to `GOFLAGS`.
>
> Most of the Go projects do not vendorize their dependencies to avoid
> polluting the source tree.
>
> And there is no point to force vendorizing in the PKGBUILD neither. go
> modules are doing a great job with pinning dependencies to a specific
> version thus eliminating the main reason for vendor'ization existence
> (i.e. reproducible builds).
>
> Thus following YAGNI principle I propose to drop this "-mod=vendor" flag.

`-mod=vendor` is implicit as of go 1.14. We are forcing this to ensure we are
not running into new implicit behaviour in the future, such as updating pinned
versions or what not. They have changed this once before already.

What upstream thinks in terms of polluting the source tree is irrelevant in this
case. We need to fetch the dependencies before over the wire before build() and
check().

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16