[arch-events] ArchCon 2010

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:05:02 EST 2009

On Mon 02 Nov 2009 10:32 -0600, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> We started discussing an Arch Linux Canada conference and decided we'd
> host a general Arch Linux Conference. Yah, it's been discussed before,
> but never has it been done. Our theory is it'll go better than we
> expected and we'll do it again someplace else, or it'll totally bomb
> and we won't try again. ;-)
>
> Here's some sketchy news and information.
>
> http://www.archlinux.ca/archcon2010/
>
> The only thing decided so far is location (Toronto, Canada), and date
> (July; ok, so it's not totally decided). If anyone wants to join in on
> organizing this, discuss on this mailing list, or this thread:
>
> http://www.archlinux.ca/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=172#p172
>
> or on comments at the archcon2010 site above.
>
> We're looking for people with experience in Toronto, or with
> experience organizing conferences, or just interest in helping out to
> join the discussion and hopefully help us not make many mistakes. If
> someone wants to do a wordpress theme for the site (I wanted a quick,
> simple CMS, and wordpress was available as a one-click install), or
> design a logo for the conference or search through proposals and pick
> the good ones, let me know.

I'm in the Toronto area and I'd be glad to help out.

Some info about the Toronto open source community:

 * There's an conference every October in Toronto: http://onlinux.ca/

 * There's a user's group for the Greater Toronto Area that might be
   able to offer some help: http://tlug.ss.org/wiki/Main_Page

 * There's a café in Toronto that pays tribute to our fine OS:
   http://linuxcaffe.ca/

The café has hosted release parties for Ubuntu, and Fedora. It's kind of
small, but usually the turnout is small as well. A warmer time of the
year would be better to host events there since there are benches
outdoors, they have a huge inflatable Tux that they can bring out, and
there's a park across the street where other activities could take
place.

I'm not sure how great the venue is for presentations, but they do have
workshops and live music pretty frequently. What would we need?
A projector and a PA system? I think they have that at least.
I can ask if needed.

I know the area somewhat well and can direct people to bars,
restaurants, and clubs if anyone's interested. After party anyone?

Please let me know how I can help.
Cheers!