[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Karolina Lindqvist karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Sun Dec 16 11:48:11 EST 2007

söndag 16 december 2007 skrev Mister Dobalina:

> The point is that the developers don't want to get a
> bunch of bug reports for things that might be
> i586-specific problems. They are saying "we've tested
> the package that is built using this PKGBUILD on i686
> and/or x86_64, and if you have a problem with it let
> us know, but if you use this PKGBUILD to build for
> some other architecture, you're on your own".

<<<cut>>>

> Well, that's exactly what it means now. But the devs
> don't want to go to the work of doing that on i586,
> because arch is an i686/x86_64-optimized distribution,
> and has never claimed to be "tried and working" on
> i586.

Is that the opinion of all the developers?

If it is so, I have to consider forking off my own distribution based on
archlinux. It simplifies some things, since I can deviate and don't have to
care for policies and so on. But forks can create extra trouble in the
future, and it always splits up human resources.

Anyway, I already have archi586 running, and currently I am mostly spending
time with bugs in archlinux, and not so much with the i586 implementation.

Karolina