[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 17 06:38:26 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 4:22 AM, Karolina Lindqvist
<karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se> wrote:
> SUGGESTION 1:
> Have a central repository for all the source files needed by archlinux, and
> modify makepkg so that when the source cannot be found on the original place,
> it is gotten from this backup repository. That way makepkg will always work
> on a package.
>
> SUGGESTION 2:
> Have a spider that goes through the abs tree, and check if every source file
> is available. When a source is found missing on its original place, an email
> is sent to the respective developer for action. Until he fixes the problem,
> the backup source file repository will provide the source.

We've actually discussed hosting the sources somewhere on our own
servers, but nothing has come of it yet.

> I understand the policy of archlinux, that it should work on the developers
> machines, and that there is no big interest of expanding to anything else.
> About the makepkg erroring out, on second thought I think it is a good idea.

Well, no, that's not Arch's policy at all. The problem is, we're
staffed by a handful of volunteer developers.  We made the decision to
be i686-optimized, and later on the decision to support x86_64, but
there's only so much we can do, and so we stand by those decisions.
At current, there are no plans to support i586 officially.