[arch-general] Scanner only works as root

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 01:57:07 EST 2008

Hi,

Renan Birck wrote:
> I have an HP Photosmart C3180 all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier).
> Installed cups, hplip, sane.
>
> Printing works. Scanning, however, only works as root, otherwise xsane
> says that there are no devices.

I have exactly the same printer. It is important that you are in both
the *lp* and *scanner* groups to use the device.

For administrative purposes, I believe, it is necessary to be in the
*sys* group.

Did you also check the sane configuration file to ensure the *hpaio*
backend is enabled? I think it is in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Regards,
Neil Darlow