[arch-general] Tool to stop and start services? (Don't Panic)

Scott scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu May 22 13:11:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:09:50AM -0700, Thayer Williams wrote:

> > I can't recall any such tool offhand, though the discussion certainly
> >  has come up before.  What's wrong with /etc/rc.d/service stop and
> >  /etc/rc.d/service start?
>

> # start, stop, restart, reload - simple daemon management
> # usage: start <daemon-name>
> start()
> {

(The rest snipped for brevity).

I just wanted to thank you for that one, I can't believe I'd never
thought of doing it for any of my installs (including BSD and the RH
based ones that use /etc/init.d).  With slight modification, it will
work for anything .
Thanks again.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: How could you let her go?
Giles: As the soon-to-be-purple area on my jaw will attest,
I did not 'let' her go.