[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] request for dbus in core

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Mon Oct 13 03:16:41 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paulo Matias <matias at archlinux-br.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:49 AM, James Rayner <iphitus at iphitus.org> wrote:
>> my support for [core], as an upcoming netcfg version will take
>> advantage of the wpa_supplicant dbus interface.
>>

> Please avoid using dbus in netcfg. I like it because it's clean, KISS,
> and uses only default/native stuff. I can help integrating with UNIX
> domain sockets or UDP sockets if needed.
>
> [1] http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/devel/wpa__ctrl_8c-source.html

It wasn't an immediate decision to use dbus and I did evaluate other
options such as the aforementioned sockets interface.

dbus is just as "default/native" if not more "native" than a custom
control interface. These days, you'll struggle to find a system out
there which doesnt at least have dbus installed. I picked the dbus
setup as it's quicker for me to implement, easier to maintain in the
long term, more KISS and easily the future for linux wireless
configuration.

dbus should be available in 2.2 and default in 3.0. In 3.0 the old
interface will not be removed, instead renamed to "wireless-old" and
so available for those who dislike dbus for some odd reason.

If you want to implement a sockets interface, go for it. netcfg is
designed to be modular, allowing a range of different interfaces
implemented in any programming language (more in 2.2).

James