[arch-general] network WTF

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 02:17:35 EDT 2009

2009/4/16 David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>:
> Jaime Oyarzun Knittel wrote:
[...]
>  I finally got my hands dirty and dug into the broadcom wl driver code
> and I see what's causing this behavior.  The driver is checking for
> capability CAP_NET_ADMIN, and if that's not set then it's returning a
> EPERM permission error on every ioctl wireless call.  So
> all the driver connection info calls done by non-root users fail with
> permissioning errors.
[...]
> Also I'm not sure if/how it might be possible to set CAP_NET_ADMIN
> for a non-root user.  But I'm kinda at the limits of my tech knowledge
>  here, and wasn't able to google up more info, so I think I'm just going
>  to have to leave this unfixed unfortunately.

It looks like there is a pam module pam_cap which can be used to set
roles on users, but i havent checked if Arch has it.

Some info i found:
man 7 capabilities
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/02/18/capabilties-and-pam
http://www.friedhoff.org/posixfilecaps.html

Especially second URL above seems to give quite good info on capabilities.

HTH, HAND.

mvg,
      Guus