[arch-general] Repository download speed? Any way to improve?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Apr 21 12:03:22 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	After my initial install, loading packages from core, extra and community I
> was limited to an average of 58K downstream bandwidth. for kdemod-legacy (and
> normally) I see the full 136K that my pitiful 1M down provides. Currently I
> have the repositories defined in pacman.conf in the default manner:
>
> [core]
> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
> [extra]
> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
> [community]
> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>
> 	Do I need to specify individual mirrors that would work better for my location
> in TX? If so, where can I get a list that will let me see the closest ones? Thanks.
>
> P.S. I apologize for the rapid-fire questions, I'm just trying to make friends
> with Arch. The questions will taper off soon.

The mirrorlist file that you see reference 3 times in the pacman.conf is
telling pacman which mirror to use.  IIRC, by default the mirror list
points to the main arch site, but that site intentionally has bandwidth
limitations placed on it in order to encourage people's use of the
mirror sites.  So edit the mirror list making a different mirror have
higher priority (i.e., appearing earlier in the file) and that should
solve the problem.

For example, my mirrorlist file lists a load of mirrors, all commented
out.  Then at the end of the file I added:

Server = http://mirror.rit.edu/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64
Server = http://archlinux.unixheads.org/$repo/os/x86_64
Server = http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64

HTH,