[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

Alessandro Doro ordo.ad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:25:09 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:05:42PM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
> > David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> >> I'd think you could delete ~/.xinitrc, add kdm3 to the DAEMONS line in
> >> rc.conf and you'd be good to go.  Any reason why that's not working?
> >>
> >> DR
The easy ways to start kdm, nearly no user intervention:
1. kdm3 as last daemon in rc.conf
2. x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon in inittab

I also suggest you to source /etc/profile.d/qt3.sh and
/etc/profile.d/kde.sh in ~/.bashrc.

The hard way follows...
> 	Now startx starts an x session and I get a black background with a white xterm
> in the top left corner of the display (approx 320x200) on my 1680x1050 display.
> The mouse works and I can move into the xterm, but it looks as if something is
> running (no prompt, but the block cursor is busy), and then about 30 seconds
> later, X shuts down normally and I am back at the command line.
>
> 	Another symptom is that when startx is use, there is no KDE, just the xterm
> and black background.
As expected in the default configuration.
Why don't you post the content of your .xinitrc?

> When /opt/kde/bin/startkde is used, no xterm appears and
> the following output is received:
>
> ... bunch of errors about X not running or DISPLAY not provided

Are you trying to launch /opt/kde/bin/startkde from the shell?
startkde has to be launched within a X display.
For example put /opt/kde/bin/startkde in your ~/.xinitrc.
Start copying the .xinitrc in /etc/skel to your home directory.